Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Reviews
6666Maxheads2.jpg
Remo White MAX

11173powermax.jpg
Remo PowerMax

4STA.jpg
Vic Firth Tom Aungst (STA)

7256AHWDC1.jpg
Promark TXDC1W

Vic_Firth_Billy_Club.jpg
Vic Firth Billy Club

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
Devindiddle, drumerelite, BrysonLansford, rnusicality, Dean21
10079 Registered Users
Featured Member
Forum Stats
10079 Members
108 Forums
16985 Topics
171556 Posts

Max Online: 722 @ 04/10/08 12:10 PM
Today in History
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#209382 - 07/06/12 02:04 AM Offworld V XymoX
0bsessed5nare Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Texas
Hey everyone
I'm thinking about buying a snare pad for myself and i wanted your thoughts on this one question what brand pad should i get for the best feel and sound, Offworld or XymoX. I've heard good things about both and i don't know which to choose.

#209385 - 07/06/12 07:59 AM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: 0bsessed5nare]
SCV75 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: New York
Both are good but the latest reports are saying that Xymox with the carbon fiber is very close to a real snare head feel. But that is what they say about the Offworld V3 as well. Can`t go wrong with either one. If you can go to a drum shop to test both out.

#209389 - 07/07/12 01:52 AM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: 0bsessed5nare]
DRUMS11 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Post's Karma Value: 20
Snarescience has a video review here:

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ZNt5ihxTn0w

And there is another good video, here:

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=D2oidzLHvM

There are a number of videos on the Off world website.

In some videos the Xymox appears to be louder than the Invader, so if that is a major consideration you probably want to go with the Invader. I *think* the situation is that the Invader is louder when on a stand by itself, where it seems to resonate, while the Xymox has a louder surface. On the other hand, I certainly like the sound of the Xymox rim and the articulation off the carbon fiber!

I imagine you'll be thrilled with either one.

#209412 - 07/11/12 12:06 AM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: DRUMS11]
warboy Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Michigan
Testing in person, the Invader is always louder. Both use a hard rim so they both produce very loud rimshots. If your primary concern is having a quiet pad that still has good feel and a rim, get a prologix pad. You will also find the nice benefit of them being much cheaper.

The Xymox carbon fiber pads is much more articulate then the Invader pads. It has been a bit of awhile since I played on a Xymox pad, but if I remember it felt great. The Invader also does but I think it is a toss up which feels better. At that point, I think it is more opinion and also depends on the tension of the drum you are used to playing on.

As far as size, you can take the rim off the Xymox pad which basically makes it the same size as a stockpad only a bit taller. You can't do this with an Invader and they are also a wider pad. This makes it a bit easier to throw an Invader on a drum to play because there is no extra room for the pad to move around. With the rim on the Xymox pad, It is pretty tall. Overall, the Xymox pad is a bit more portable.

The Xymox pad managed to actually cost more then the Invader which is astounding to me. Keep that in mind.

#209414 - 07/11/12 10:40 AM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: 0bsessed5nare]
bcaviness Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Atlanta, GA
I own both an Offworld V3 and a Xymox ID pad (the ID being the low-profile version with 1/8" gum rubber on the top playing surface), and I also have experience playing on a Xymox Reserve Corps pad.

I'm gonna give you a run down based on different categories, comparing the two companies/products, then I'll give an overall rating for each on at the end.

Product

Offworld:These guys were the biggest and baddest thing around about 2 years ago. They offered a rim system that wasn't specific to the little crappy remo pads that kids purchased for their first year as a percussionist. They also introduced their "dark matter," a product that makes a great combination of articulation and durability.

Pros - This pad is very articulate. The rim has a very accurate height, and what you put into the pad is what you get out of it. You have a full dynamic range that isn't cut off by the material of the pad. The black matter pad, straight out of the box, is one of the most sleek pads you're going to find on the market, hell, they almost give the pad a mirror-finish when it's shipped. Finally, the best thing about this pad would have to be the durability. I've literally dropped my V3 from the roof of a 2 story building just for the sake of seeing how durable the pad is. After dropping it, I went to check it out, and there was hardly a scratch on the pad.

Cons - The V3 is a very heavy pad. It's not one that you want to carry around with you all day every day without at least a backpack or something to throw it in. While the pad is very articulate, and you can hear what you're playing, the dynamic balance between rim and playing surface is far from perfected. When practicing your show music, your rim shots are going to be heard all across your neighborhood, basically no matter how hard or soft you hit the rim. In addition to this, there's no real way to tell if you're getting a rim shot, or missing the shots completely other than by feel. The only other problem I have with the V3 would be the way that it picks up fibers, dust, and dirt. The dark matter, being a "non-slip" surface, also makes it a great way to pick up anything loose that you set it on. If you're obsessed with making your pad look great, then keep some turtle wax, windex, and a wash cloth with your pad almost at all times.

Overall PRODUCT rating - 4/5 stars
Let's face it, the V3 is the stepping stone to marching practice pads. They raised the bar for marching drum pads, but I don't know where they're going to go next with their product. Because this is a comparison, I'm giving the V3 a 4 merely because I do find the Xymox to be a better overall pad. The V3 still gets the job done.

Xymox:These guys are definitely giving Offworld a run for their money. The guys and gals at xymox offer a FULLY personalized pad in the low-profile form (or a carbon fiber upgrade for $20 extra), this can include any photos that you upload to their design portal, the color of the wood, rim color (upon request), all the way down to what playing surfaces you're using. In addition to the iD pads, Xymox offers a great line of "base" models, if you will, that don't have fancy lettering or pictures, but just offer you the most recent pads on the market.

Pros - The Xymox carbon-fiber surface is equally as articulate as the dark matter on a V3, in addition to being articulate, the feel is also much more accurate than that of the V3, being that batter heads are generally made of KevlarŪ, which is fibrous material. The rims that are offered on the Xymox pads definitely surpass that of the invader. While having an accurate height set up, and also being removable (UNLESS you purchase a low-profile iD pad, those rims are NOT removable), you also have a rim that is much thinner than that of the V3, offering a bit more accuracy to that of a snare drum. They've even thought to put stick notches in the rim, so you can set your sticks down on top of your pad when you're not playing, and they won't roll off the front! As far as sound, the Xymox pad is a loud pad that can be heard, just like the V3. However, unlike the V3, Xymox has better closed the dynamic difference regarding the playing surface/rim hit ratio. With that being said, all rim shots are still quite a bit louder than your regular playing, it's merely just a closer match than that of the V3.

Cons - My biggest con, in regards to the xymox pads is their durability. The day I received my pad, I managed to drop it from about 5'. It landed on concrete (something my invader has done many, many times) and took a couple small chips out of the wooden base of the pad. With that being said, they weren't like diameter-based cracks or anything serious like that, but I would personally like for a pad to last me as long as possible before it starts REALLY showing wear and tear. With that being said, the Xymox pad is still a very durable pad, I'm merely pointing out the biggest differences between the two products.

Overall PRODUCT rating - 4.9/5 stars.
I would give Xymox a 5 for product, but nothing in life is perfect, it's just the best thing out right now. Xymox has found a great combination of personalization, performance, sleekness, and application that is going to take a lot of effort to match or surpass.

COMPANY
This one, I'm not going to give you quite as much detail, mainly because you didn't request for this information, but it's good to know these things before making a purchase.

Offworld:Offworld's company offers a wide array of products, including an over-priced and over-sized mouse pad that, when used on your invader, will deaden the sound, and can offer the quiet playing opportunities that you'll want in some situations. With that being said, the same oversized mouse pad can be used on the Xymox pads and reap the same benefits. Offworld also offers a practice pad-height snare stand so you don't always have to be sitting to practice appropriately. We all know it's a pain when you pick up a snare stand that doesn't have a basket wide enough to hold a 14" drum or pad, better yet hold up to 3 to 4 feet high up. Offworld offers a stand that does just that. Offworld also manages a website that's fool-proof to navigate, and upon any purchase, they handle their customers professionally, maintain great communication, and ship punctually/safely.

From purchase confirmation to my door in about 2 and a half weeks.

Overall COMPANY rating: 4/5 stars
Offworld is a great company that offers great products, however, their product selection is rather limited to anything that isn't specific to their V3 pad. If this was a rating based solely on shipping/handling and communication, Offworld would get a 5. I had no problems with their shipping process whatsoever.

Xymox: Xymox offers a little bit of everything. They have some of the best quad pads on the market, some of the best snare pads, table pads, practice sticks, etc. You name it, they've pretty much got it when it comes to percussion practice needs. Xymox also runs a great website that's pretty easy to navigate. However, Xymox is a company run by a small group of people, and their pads are almost all made to order. With that being said, when the next big thing comes out in the drumming community, the company responsible for that next big thing tends to get completely swamped with orders. The guys at xymox were behind on their orders for a while. While they have since caught up, they're still finding their place in the percussive world, and likely will eventually be able to meet the demands as one of the more elite pad companies on the market. Until then, however, their communication is very mediocre, at best. I never received a tracking email from the company once my product was shipped, and after trying to reach the company through several different mediums (email, the contact section of their site, and direct messages to the owners of the store), I never received any correspondence from Xymox. Again, I am understanding of how waves of orders come in, but that is definitely a category they're going to have to address to better the company.

Order confirmation to my door in a little over 6 weeks.

Keep in mind, my pad was an iD pad, meaning that it was made completely unique to me after I ordered it. I wasn't just ordering 1 of the hundreds of the exact same pad that they had waiting to ship from their warehouse.

Overall COMPANY rating: 3.5/5 stars
If this rating was specific to their website and what they offer as a company, they'd get a much higher rating. However, if this rating was based solely on customer service, they would have received a much lower rating. You can't expect to be praised for your customer service when you never send a tracking email (an issue that doesn't just seem to have effected me) or respond to the countless attempts to reach the company

So, here is the way the overall scores average out:
Offworld Percussion - 4.0/5 stars
Xymox Percussion - 4.2/5 stars

These scores are actually pretty accurate, based on how I feel on overall experience. The pads are darn near even, when it comes down to it. I personally prefer my Xymox just a little bit better, namely because it's a pad that I designed specific to me, and even if it was an all black pad like my invader, I would still likely give the edge to xymox.

I hope that helped some, because I believe I just contracted CTS from typing that much. dodgy

Happy Drumming!
B

Edited by bcaviness (07/11/12 10:44 AM)

#209420 - 07/11/12 01:32 PM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: bcaviness]
warboy Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Michigan
Quick question for you caviness.

Can you get a custom carbon fiber laminant on the Xymox ID pads? I wouldn't think so because I know that is a pain in the butt, but your post gives me hope.

#209423 - 07/11/12 03:45 PM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: 0bsessed5nare]
bcaviness Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Atlanta, GA
They haven't released carbon fiber to the iD portal, yet, but i believe if you email them after making your purchase, they can upgrade it to the carbon fiber pad for an additional $20.

#209438 - 07/14/12 08:28 AM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: bcaviness]
SCV75 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: New York
Great response to the differences but it takes time with either company to get your pad and is much faster to order from a drum shop like Lone Star but they don`t carry Xymox only Offworld!

I don`t think they are using the carbon fiber to make ID pads since they are all art designs and may have to use the regular laminates to do it with. You might try to ask the question on their Face Book page for a faster answer. Or call customer service.

PH# 909-484-5452

Edited by SCV75 (07/14/12 08:39 AM)

#209450 - 07/17/12 07:21 PM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: 0bsessed5nare]
Decoy Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Battle Creek, Michigan
I own two V3 pads, two Xymox tenor pads (old school and CF), and a buddy of mine owns a Xymox CF snare pad.

The CF tenor pad IS A MUST HAVE. Every head has a rim, including 4 small little grooves on drum 2 to hold your sticks in place without them falling off. That is basically a first of its kind, which is VERY beneficial because it can old any paris of sticks/mallets. Unlike the older pads with the laminates, using sticks with nylon tips won't hurt it as much either (anybody that has owned a xymox pad knows what I'm talking about). The style of the tenor pad still shares the same quality as the previous version, with the 3 indents under it to hold on any standard snare stand (I use the invader stand) and the tonal holes under each head. Also, you'll notice your playing areas a lot easier after a few hours of playing.

This is the closet you'll get to a set of tenors. Rims on every head, different sounds on each pad depending on what zones you're playing in, and playing on carbon fiber makes this the best tenor pad out right now.

I'd say my only concern about the pad is trying to figure out how to clean it lol.

#209461 - 07/19/12 10:51 PM Re: Offworld V XymoX [Re: Decoy]
0bsessed5nare Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Texas
you said you had two V3's could i possibly trade an ipod for one i decided i'm just going to get both lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Chat
Check it out!
DLO on Facebook
Shout Box

Galleries
TN- Tennessee Tech University
MS - University of Southern MS - 2009
AL - Fairhope High - 2007
Dynamic bass.
Potential cover idea.
(Views)Popular Topics