Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Reviews
4STA.jpg
Vic Firth Tom Aungst (STA)

7256AHWDC1.jpg
Promark TXDC1W

Vic_Firth_Billy_Club.jpg
Vic Firth Billy Club

CXAirframe.jpg
Pearl CX Airframe Carrier

7256AHWDC1.jpg
Promark TXDC1W

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
bcdefg277108, opqrst153864, jklmno248878, uvwxyz290121, lmnopq307658
10163 Registered Users
Featured Member
Forum Stats
10167 Members
114 Forums
18216 Topics
183376 Posts

Max Online: 722 @ 04/10/08 12:10 PM
Today in History
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#141897 - 04/22/07 02:27 AM Lock Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals?
dDrRaGeX Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: CA
This year, our school drumline has sweaters on it we had the option of whether or not to put what we played, and i chose to not put cymabls on it.

Im not ASHAMED, Im simply just not proud of it. imo its not much effort. sure its my first year on drumline so its clear why i was put on the cymbal line, next year i'll most likely be on the snare line (everyone on the drumline is assuming i'll make it)

Bookmark and Share

And now, a word from our sponsors...
#141898 - 04/22/07 04:19 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: dDrRaGeX]
Font Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Miami, Fl
... re-phrase the first part of your post, because I didn't understand it.

#141899 - 04/22/07 07:20 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Font]
Anonymous
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
FONT- his drumline got sweaters and they had an option of putting their instrument on their sweater and he chose not to put cymbals on his sweatshirt because he isn't proud of playing cymbals

#141900 - 04/22/07 07:45 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: ]
Font Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Thanks, dude. I was also really tired when I read that, 'cuz I had woken up fifteen minutes before (yes, I'm an all-nighter kind'a guy).

Well, Rage, I'm sorry you chose to do that. But, it's understandable. Most High School cymbal lines are horrible. they don't take their instrument seriously. but that's you and your sections fault. You can make playing cymbals cooler. go to youtube.com and search for cymbal videos. There's a bunch of insanely good DCI/WGI cymbal lines.

Paradox Percussion (where I marched in 2006) had a pretty good plateline. (search "PDX Cymbals")

The Magic Drum & Bugle Corps in 2005 had an INSANE cymbal line, taught by one of the Guru's of cymbalogy, Eddie Capps (search "Magic cymbals")

Santa Clara Vanguard . . . we all know they have an amazing cymbal line. their 2001 line was my favorite, next to 2006.

Pioneer has a good plateline, also.

also check out Music City Mystique for an amazing indoor cymbal line. namely, 2006.

www.cymbaltechnique101.com

#141901 - 04/27/07 07:49 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Font]
Anonymous
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
You Should also get some video and see what its like to really play them. I think vic firth has a video of just the cymbal line playing.

#141902 - 05/05/07 02:14 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: ]
PookeyG Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: North Carolina
Being ashamed or "unproud" of the instrument you play is really a hampering force against you, your section, and your band.

If you approach your cymbals with the attitude "I only got this because I'm a freshmen." You will most likely play at a grade 'C' level. You follow directions and do what you're told, but you could be playing at an 'A' level and really apply yourself.

Cymbals have a vast set of achievable timbres as well as the most visual opprotunities of any other instrument on the drum line. IF you apply yourself you can help push your line, have a MUCH better time of playing, and at the very least show a very positive attitude to your instructor who will take that attitude into consideration when choosing who makes the snare line next season.

And to some instructors/Band Directors, attitude can mean MUCH more than chops or skill.

#141903 - 05/18/07 12:23 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: PookeyG]
Anonymous
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
I played the cymbals last year and I wasn't too proud of them. However when we started going to competitions we got awards like 'Best Cymbal Line' and stuff like that, and on all or judge's review tapes they always said stuff like, "good job cymbals. I love the visuals," (In fact one judge, which was very creepy, said we were hot....it was odd.....) and things like that which made me feel proud. I guess just do your best and get awards and it'll make you feel proud =]

Edited by mrt_on_snare (05/18/07 12:26 PM)

#141904 - 05/27/07 03:17 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: ]
zunk86 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Indiana, PA
This goes for anything you do in life: If you choose to have a negative outlook on something, you probably will have a negative outlook on it.

I came from a less than average HS program. When I came to college and auditioned for the drumline, I know that going out for cymbals would be my best bet. I was supprised to learn how versitile of an instrument they are and just how much technique there actually was to playing them. I still can't get over how much fun I've had playing and learning how to play them.

You should be proud of the instrument you play. Make it fun! Be creative! And don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

IUP Drumline - 2004, 2005 - Cymbals
DS Keith Jr. HS Indoor - 2005, 2006 - Visual Tech
Penns Manor HS Drumline - 2006, 2007 - Instructor/Arranger

#141905 - 05/28/07 12:56 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: zunk86]
Nhsdrummer07 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Everyone pretty much stole what i was gonna post here. I reccommend that you watch Santa Clara's line. The first time i saw them i was like "Holy crap I want to do that." I was actually happy to play cymbals my first year in marching band. My arm muscles became HUMONGUS compared to what they looked like before i marched cymbals. I guess thats another Pro to playing cymbals.

#141906 - 05/29/07 05:38 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Nhsdrummer07]
TotalPercussion Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: U.S.A
Three things you can learn from playing Cymbals:

1. Good sense of timing. A cymbal line has split parts (or should anyway) which is a good experience and can be applied to other instruments (Bass Drum, Tenors, Snare, Pit).

2. You get to be in a drumline and play music.

3. Great marching technique. Some of the best marchers I know have experience in a cymbal line. They had the hardest moves in the drill, so they learned all the keys to marching well and were able to handle any other instrument with ease when moving.

Just my two cents.

#141907 - 05/29/07 12:17 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: TotalPercussion]
CMCMystique Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Pensacola,FL
To play cymbals you have to have a certain mind set
everyone thinks of cymbals as being not good enough for a drum people think of cymbals as just being overflow of the drum line or the worst drummers for that reason alone cymbal players are becoming a dying breed more and more High Schools and Drum cores don't march cymbal lines anymore so you should be proud of what you play whether its a snare drum ,cymbals or the triangle whatever it is you have to play play it with all you got thats all i got to say i play cymbals and i love every second of it at first i hated cymbals but i enjoy them just have fun with it

#141908 - 05/29/07 02:21 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: TotalPercussion]
Kreeper of Time Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Northeast Florida
Usually if you are not proud to say you played a certain instrument or even to have been in a certain group, it usually means that you and/or your section did not put in enough work and effort to be "proud" of the end product...I love good cymbal lines, some of the toughest percussionists I have known marched cymbals
FBHS Caption Head/Arranger 08-

#141909 - 05/29/07 08:28 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: dDrRaGeX]
basschick_sara Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Missouri CIty, Texas
It sounds like you don't want to play cymbals, therefore you don't want to be at practice because it's a "waste of your time".

IF this is the case, you should quit. There is no sense in doing something you hate.

I don't think anyone ever joined drumline because they thought "Hey, lets go sit out in the sun and fry all day! That sounds like a ton of fun!" or "Man, I just love practicing. No, I can't go to the movies Saturday night because I'm going to practice my sets." No one likes practice. From what I've gathered, (now, I could be wrong...) people generally join the drumline because they love playing. If you don't love practicing and you dont love playing, then you probably shouldn't keep wasting your time. Go find something that you're more passionate about. Otherwise, suck it up and learn to love playing cymbals.

#141910 - 07/11/07 10:33 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: basschick_sara]
SFZ541 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:

...IF this is the case, you should quit. There is no sense in doing something you hate... ...Otherwise, suck it up and learn to love playing cymbals.

Ouch.

Don't quit, change your attitude. Cymbals are just as important as every other instrument in the ensemble. I'm probably the only person on earth that believes it's not a drumline without cymbals (which is why some of the top corps really disapoint me), but it's not a drumline without cymbals. Really.

#141911 - 07/13/07 03:06 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: SFZ541]
emmyemmyjojo Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: ohio
no your not the only one, last year we didnt have cymbals and it just wasnt the same.
10-11 tenor section leader
who said girls cant do drumline

#141912 - 07/14/07 11:24 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: emmyemmyjojo]
Gernads Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Chesterland, Ohio
Santa Clara Vanguard Plateline. Nuff said. Put some work into it and you will be pleased with the end result, no matter what.

#141913 - 07/14/07 05:51 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: TotalPercussion]
wvdrummerboy Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Marshall University, Huntingto...
Be proud most people have played them at one time.

#141914 - 10/02/07 01:26 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: dDrRaGeX]
Delldrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Sldell, LA
I am the pit captain, so I have to play cymbals, and I am ashamed to walk in front of the crowd. Cymbals are so degrading to me because our line doesn't have much emphasisi on the cymbals. Cymbals dont march in the show, and we dont have very many visuals in the stands except for occasional cymbal flips and twirls, which some people on the cymbal line can;t do anyway.

So no, its alright to be not be proud of being a cymbal player.
'11 Northshore High Drum Instructor)

#141915 - 10/02/07 06:31 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Delldrummer]
Font Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
You're the Pit Captain . . . So . . . Y'know . . . Do what Captain's do and teach'em something. If you yourself don't know anything about Plates . . . Learn. Use the internet.

Playing cymbals with basic technique and visuals isn't rocket science. Hell, make up your own technique. As long as you guys look and sound good. I bet it'll make a lot of difference if you just taught your line a little something, and gave them/you something worth being proud of.

Every section in the show, every part, should be emphasised appropriately.

"our line doesn't have much emphasis on the cymbals"?

Again. You're the Pit Captain. Do something about it, rather than letting the situation stay the same.

#141916 - 10/03/07 01:16 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Font]
Delldrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
The thing is that nobody in our area emphacises cymbals. Nobody marches them on the field, you have to go either south of New Orleans or west of Baton Rouge to find a decent band marching cymbals. We only play them for stand cadences and marching into the stadium. We have some visuals, like I said, We move around while playing, we twirl around every onece in a while, but most people just move up from cymbals at the end of the year. I know I would've, but I was needed because we weren't supposed to get anybody else and I was going to be the only melodics. People here don't think, "I'm gonna play cymbals!" they are thinking about bass and tenors, and even snare. Cymbals are just a bump you roll over on the way.

An example of a cymbal-emphacized school: Salmen, across town. They are all into cymbal visuals and twirling and spinning and frotees, but their drumline, and their band are not top notch, to be as nice as possible.

All I'm saying, is that its perfectly fine to not be proud of playing cymbals.

#141917 - 10/03/07 01:26 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Delldrummer]
Mannineaux Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Slidell, Louisiana
Its okay to not be proud of it if your cymbal line is like... garbage... But don't ever consider cymbals to be a "lower" instrument. Just look at SCV or Crossmen. Their cymbal lines are amazing. I would be more than proud to march cymbals for either one of those corps.

Take pride in your cymbals. I'm sure there'sthings you could do that would make the crowd (or whoever you are worried about what they are thinking) think "Oh! Look at the cymbals!" Visuals or way not. Study up on some stuff that cymbal players do. Its just as important as any other part of the drumline.

#141918 - 10/03/07 01:33 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Mannineaux]
Delldrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
It is as important as the rest of the drumline, but its not recognized how it should be. Corps have visual coordinators and flarking awesome cymbal players, but in high school, cymbals is just where the trash falls into from the drumline.

#141919 - 10/04/07 01:39 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Delldrummer]
Mannineaux Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Unfourtnuately thats ture. So for highschool (unless your drumline is amazing and people like the cymbals, or if the cymbal isn't just used for something for the sucky drummers to have something to play) Most of the time cymbals are considered trash... But you could try making them not trash... =]

#141920 - 10/08/07 12:01 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Mannineaux]
drumcorpbc Offline

Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: St. Louis, MO
That's not true at all with my program. I do not have any "lesser" sections in my program or any "dumping" areas. This year I had 9 kids specifically try out for cymbals and I could only keep 4.

It is NOT ok to not be proud of playing cymbals. You take whatever opportunity you are given and you make the most of it. Attitudes like the ones I'm reading on here are kids that would not make my line. I don't have time, nor do I tolerate negativity or the standard "I'm stuck on cymbals, feel sorry for me" crap.

OAS AAS LLS!!!

#141921 - 10/08/07 02:28 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: drumcorpbc]
Delldrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Quote:

That's not true at all with my program. I do not have any "lesser" sections in my program or any "dumping" areas. This year I had 9 kids specifically try out for cymbals and I could only keep 4.

It is NOT ok to not be proud of playing cymbals. You take whatever opportunity you are given and you make the most of it. Attitudes like the ones I'm reading on here are kids that would not make my line. I don't have time, nor do I tolerate negativity or the standard "I'm stuck on cymbals, feel sorry for me" crap.

Cymbals seem to be viewed differently in different regions, for example drumcorpbc, I see that you are from St. Louis, Missouri. I dont know where ddrragex is from, but it seems that cymbals where I live (Southeast Louisiana) is viewed differently than where you live. Nobody really auditions for cymbals here.

Also, I'm not, nor am I noticing anyone trying to get anyone else to feel sorry for them. I was saying that its alright to not want cymbals on the back of your sweater, I never said, "Oh Im sorry your on cymbals, better luck next year." To say that nobody here would make your line was unnecessary. This is an opinion, hence the name of the thread, "Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals?" This person wants peoples' opinions. Mine was that its perfectly fine. You can do something and not be happy about it.

Back to the actual topic, to add to my previous posts, to make your time on cymbals more enjoyable, start adding new things. Have fun while your on cymbals, make the most of it. You may not be happy on cymbals, but try to do stuff to make you say "Oh! That was cool"

#141922 - 10/08/07 02:30 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: drumcorpbc]
Mannineaux Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
I think the same way, though for some reason, we never really stress of cymbals. The drumline never really put stress on playing cymbals. The only thing cymbals have ever done with the line is played while we did cadences or in the stands. We never march them on the feild, and occasionaly use them in the pit, but nothing more. Its a shame, because i love marching cymbals. Not me personally, i've never done it, but i love bands that actually put the cymbals on the feild. Like SCV or Crossmen.

Idk, but just for some reason, cymbals have always been considered a "lower" instrument. I'm not particularly fond of the idea, but drummers are stubborn. If they start out thinking that "Oh if you play the cymbals, you must suck," then thats what they will always believe, unless they see a good cymbal line that doesn't just crash every now and then... Its a sad thing, but most people don't take pride in playing the cymbals. I think its a good thing to take pride in it. Even if you have a triangle part, it doesn't matter. All perts are important. They all contribute to the music, and should be veiwed in such a way. They wouldn't have been created if they wern't meant to be played. Cymbals are important too.

#141923 - 10/08/07 02:59 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Mannineaux]
kobalt7387 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Colorado
i march cymbals at Colorado right now, and originally i did not try out for the cymbal line, i tried out for snare but my audition was terrible, i choked, and so they said they still wanted me on the line so do the cymbal auditions, so i did and march with them. well we have a line of 10 cymbals and only a few are vets. at first i was a little overwhelmed because its so different and i was disappointed, but i have definitely grown on to it because it is hard. sure you may have less notes, you may be the icing on the cake, so the music could be easy but playing it isnt. it takes a lot of work to build up strength and endurance. we have the most fun i think adding in visuals. sure we arent the greatest cymbal line, and the music we play in our shows isnt super hard (its college not corps) but its still fun, and i enjoy it, so i'm using it as an opportunity to learn so i can try out for the blue knights percussion ensemble this year, now that they march cymbals. i'm still a snare player and i would like to try out for snare again next year at CU but i'm a cymbal player now too and i enjoy it because i know its hard, whether or not anyone watching thinks it is. i would suggest that the people who feel stupid or ashamed or whatever playing cymbals should look through their music and find all the blank spots, and plug in a bunch of visuals. sit around and watch SCV cymbal line videos like we do and see what you could do, it'll make your music more interesting and people will notice you. sorry this is one big block of text..

#141924 - 10/08/07 03:00 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Mannineaux]
Font Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
There's a band called SCV? And another band called Crossmen? Who're they?

#141925 - 10/08/07 04:20 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Font]
drumcorpbc Offline

Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Actually my comment about not making my line was completely necessary. All sections of the drumline add to the overall score. With cymbals being as visual as they are, it's even more obvious when they are off.

Ask the guys that have marched SCV, Crossmen or any other corps that does have or did have cymbal lines if they feel ashamed of putting cymbals on their jacket. I know several of the guys that have marched SCV cymbals over the years and not a single one of them would trade in those experiences for anything.

Cymbals are not popular in my area either. Know why I've made the decision to march them for the past 3 years? It's because I see the visual and musical extras that they bring to an ensemble. The kids that make the cymbal line totally dig what they are doing and hype on it. Heck, my snare line gets jealous of the stuff they are doing.

Yes, in the high school setting cymbals have been the dumping ground. I blame instructors on that stereotype. I, as an instructor, do what I can to overcome that.

I've said what I've said and I completely stand by my statements.

If you're not proud of being a part of the drumline (cymbals last I checked are part of the drumline), then quit. You're not doing anyone any good with that attitude.

OAS AAS LLS!!!

#141926 - 10/08/07 05:14 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: drumcorpbc]
Font Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
You're also not improving scores, either.

#141927 - 10/09/07 01:11 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Font]
Delldrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
First of all, SCV is Santa Clara Vanguard, a drum corps, and Crossmen is another corps.

Anyway, its alright for different people to have different opinions on the matter. You (drumcorpbc) need to understand however, that maybe people are not in cymbal emphasized programs, and can not do anything to change that.

And your comment was not necessary because your implying that people want to be on your line. I firmly stand by all my statements as well.

#141928 - 10/09/07 02:23 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Delldrummer]
drumcorpbc Offline

Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
People do want to be on my line, perhaps not people on here because they aren't in my area, but every 8th grader that plays drums in the 9 feeder schools all audition each year.

What I was saying about the attitude is that if you were a student audition for my line, you wouldn't make it with the attitude of "I'm on cymbals, so I'm not proud."

What difference does it make if it's a HS or a corps? I was not a cymbal emphasized program. In fact, it's the students in the cymbal section that run the section. I write the music, they create the visuals and the traditions that the cymbal line has now. Why do they do this? Because they are proud to be on the cymbal line and are making the most of the situation. I graduate 1 senior from my battery this year. She is a cymbal player and has told me numerous times she wouldn't play any instrument but cymbals. She has the chops to play snare for me, but she opted for cymbals.

I never once said that it's not ok for people to have other opinions. What I said was that it's no ok for people to not be proud of being a part of the ensemble. It may not be your first choice, but not everyone can play snare.

I notice you are a junior in high school. Not saying you are inexperienced, but when you get a little older, you will look at things much differently.

OAS AAS LLS!!!

#141929 - 10/09/07 05:43 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: drumcorpbc]
Font Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
And I will back Bill's statement fully. As you expand your horizons in percussion, as we all hope, your opinions will change.

#141930 - 10/10/07 01:31 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Font]
Delldrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Actually, Im a *cough* sophomore, and maybe my opinion will change. But for now, and as I explained to Mandingo, I am answering the original question.

Definition of Proud: feeling pleasure or satisfaction over something regarded as highly honorable or creditable to oneself (dictionary.com)

Cymbals are not always considered highly hnorable, but for some they are, so if you're one of those people, congratulations.

If you are on cymbals, but wish to be on something different in the future, then its okay to not be proud now, but try to make it something to be proud of.

Its hard for people to be proud of playing cymbals(in the second group) when you march into the stadium and people say, "Josh? You're still on cymbals?" Yes, I know that cymbals aren't the hardest, and I know that I don't suck, and I know the real reason why I'm playing cymbals (to play melodics in the show)

My family even tells me when I talk about my hopes of getting into good colleges and going into music ed. that I only play cymbals. When I talk about a drumline tradition, they tell me that cymbals arent a drum, therefore Im not on the drumline. I know that these comments are coming out of Their a**, but it still makes me lose pride.

Maybe it would be easier to be proud of cymbals if we marched them in the show, where visuals can be done and seen by people other than t he visiting team, across the field.

#141931 - 10/31/07 08:10 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Delldrummer]
Cymballism Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: La Habra,Ca, United States
Post's Karma Value: 5
I was a tenor player in junior year of HS and I had seen a few indoor competitions and a dci show and never really watched the cymbal lines but I knew that I wanted to be in one of those drumlines just to be part of a line that looked and sounded like they did. I went to anaheim kingsmen for the 2000 season and was open to the idea of playing anything I could. My thinking was along the lines of "I want upper battery, I'll settle for bass or even cymbals" I played bass in my sophomore year but never played cymbals and all I really knew about cymbal lines was that I couldn't stand my school's line.
the snareline and tenorline was full of HS and drum corps instructors and the bassline was full of off-season drum corps bass players but they had trouble filling the cymbal line so I volunteered and played alongside a girl from the impulse cymbal line (this was before impulse's cymbals became pretty decent) and some snare player from some HS. I had fun but we werent much more than an above average HS line, but at least I was part of an awesome drumline.

So the next year I figured I'd audition for Pacific Crest and I knew my chops on tenors and bass weren't up to par so I figured since I played for Kingsmen on cyms, I should be fine. yeah, thats when I realized that I wasnt a cymballer, I was just HS tenor player that put on some cymbals. They had to tear my horrible technique down and rebuild me in their image. just going through workshops and audtions was murderous in itself. there was only 2 open spots and a PC baritone player switched to cyms and then there was one spot and I was up against a few pretty good cymballers that solely played cymbals and barely made the cut. The whole season I had to go through hell just to keep up and by the end I wasn't a HS tenor player that had cymbals, I was a cymbal player that can sorta drum.

Now I teach cymbal lines and instill the spirit in them of "It's not what you play that shows your dedication, it's the journey you went on and the results you display"

Only be "unproud" if you dont belong in the line because you lack the desire to make your section the best it can be.

#141932 - 10/31/07 01:38 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Cymballism]
Mannineaux Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
I think that everyone in the world would teach the oposite of the stereotypical belief that cymbal players are the lower class of the line, because they aren't.
Cymbals add so much to the music, they can be an added visual effect, they can do so many things that people don't think of. If you aren't proud of playing you instrument to the best of your ability, and realizing that you are making the band better as a whole for doing so, you don't deserve to play it. Who cares what Nonpercussionists say that cymbals are nothing... They don't play them, so what do they know?

#141933 - 11/01/07 02:40 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Mannineaux]
kobalt7387 Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Colorado
I agree. I think a lot of people underestimate the challenge of cymbals. I'd say all of the non-percussionists, and most all of the 'drummers' all have no idea how physically demanding cymbals are. I understand its hard to build chops and learn rudiments, buts its also hard to be physically prepared to MAKE cymbals look easy. They are not easy to play, it is tiring to say the least, but to make cymbal playing look as easy as people see it, is the challenge we take on. This as compared to the challenge drummers take on making hard clean rudiments look easy.

Edited by kobalt7387 (11/01/07 02:40 AM)

#141934 - 11/01/07 01:07 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: kobalt7387]
Mannineaux Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Right. Cymbal players are constantly holding 5 pound objects out from their body, and if you have a lot of visuals, you are moving your arms all over the place, with different dynamic demands and things. Its not easy at all. If your cymbal players are upset with being on cymbals and not having anything challenging, than make it challenging. There is the solution. If you want your entire drumline to care (which you should) challenge them. Show them that playing cymbals isn't just about hitting 2 peices of metal together. Make it fun=]

#141935 - 11/05/07 03:21 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Mannineaux]
Cymballism Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: La Habra,Ca, United States
I've noticed quite an evolution of my cymbal line @ Paramount from my Freshman year in 1997 to the present. I never played cymbals in High School but there was always something that drew my attention even though they were just going through the motions. The cymbal lines through my entire experience @ PHS were lacking desire to marching a line that expanded upon their very limited vocabulary and dedication to prove their worth on the field rather than accept mediocrity of a standstill pit cym line.

When I began teaching the line the year after graduating, I got a line full of rookies partially due to the void of notoriety and legacy that previous lines left. I couldn't be happier, 4 lumps of clay to mold into something potentially great. We made sure to incorporate more polished and finely-tuned versions of the older techniques to a vastly expanded vocabulary. We also began incorporating a new philosophy that stresses the importance of teamwork and cooperation throughout the band while still challenging ourselves to the fullest and striving for perfection to showcase the misunderstood difficulty and complexity of a true modern marching cymbal line. This line played more beats and explored more sounds and effects than any PHS cymbal line I'd seen up to that point.

I knew when I went back in 2004 to a new line with a new band director, anything could have happened. When I saw my line play for the first time, it was interesting to say the least. My teachings from 2001 had morphed into a Picasso-inspired version of their former self. This line had an unquenchable thirst for evolution and challenge fueled by a fiery passion to make everyone take notice that their line were the realization of the core philosophy idealized a few years prior. This line had the talent, desire, passion, and confidence to usher in the renaissance of the PHS Drumline.

Although I was only able to briefly assist in 2005 and 2006, these became truly benchmark years for the line. Each year's line offered something different than its predecessor. The simple clean expression of the music and aggressive approach was followed by an unparalleled sense of unity through conflict which resulted in a very intense and explosive line in every aspect.

The underestimation of the ability and dedication of the cymbal line was always mistakenly a topic of everyday conversation in the Marching Band. I was called in just weeks before PHS was to compete in the 2006 Southern California Championships. The drumline was frequently falsely and ignorantly criticizing the cymbal line for many reasons and by this point in the evolution of PHS Cymbals, the cymbal line wouldn't take such disrespect and lack of appreciation lying down.

The cymbal line began to have too much pride and emotion invested in their work for their own good. They simply needed to focus this passion on their pursuit for perfection. When I showed up I expected a train wreck and was treated to a wrecking ball of a line that was ready to demolish everyone's misconceptions of the abilities and pride of a well-guided, small-medium sized band, cymbal line. We cleaned techniques, added a couple of beats and split up some notes begging for splits. Then we rocked out cleaning and visuals, cleaning and visuals, cleaning and visuals, etc. --one visual we added during a drum break involved the line putting their cymbals on the ground and strap-out, stand casual, check the time, look at drumline, check the time, look irritated @ drumline in slight split-pose lean, kneel to cymbals, strap-in and pop back up. Nothing but excessive praise was given to the line from many for that one especially -- At that point the majority of the marching band and many skeptics and critics began to truly take notice and appreciate the tremendous ability required to not only make amazing things happen musically and visually, but also fight onward and shed the stereotypes once associated with the PHS Cymbal Line.

This year can be summed up in one word, "CHALLENGE!" I have been fortunate enough to be around since band camp and have written my most difficult Cymbal field show book to date. The music is tastefully jam-packed of beats upon beats, splits-galore, effects/sounds/colors/etc. en mass, and some of the biggest and beefiest unisons executed by a PHS cym line. Sight-reading began agonizingly slow due to their inexperience w/ such extreme split rhythms and patterns. Memorization of music alone was a challenge and at this point we are still working out some kinks in dynamics. Marching started well considering a new marching technique was implemented this year (if they could just get minor lower-body facings and one big obvious transition down Visuals, visuals, visuals. A double-edged sword this season. The visuals that have been added in thus far have been executed with a very frighteningly clean intensity and attitude. However, a couple of attempted visuals had to be cut for various reasons while quite a few of them are on the chopping block. Some frustration is evident in the line because this show design for them is INSANE!!! As a result of a few less-productive rehearsals, a few visuals may be sacrificed in favor of allowing time to perfect music, marching, visuals and possibly a 3-man Pit-Viper near the end which includes a crash choked by the ground. (also TBAdded: cymbal drum break -- each cym has VF sheath velcroed to their right calf and loaded w/ 1 pair of tenor mallets -- set cyms on ground leaving right foot planted on ground, strap-out, pull-out mallets to play break on grounded cymbals, replace mallets, strap-in, pop up to set

Already a few new plans/ideas are being considered for implementation in next year's line. More rookies probably means less notes to play than in the book from '07. These notes WILL be played flawlessly due to more detailed and extensive cleaning of technique and timing. Visuals will follow the same philosophy by using many simple but sharp angle-intensive visuals that will due quite a considerable amount to enhance the overall theme of the field show. It may sound easy for veterans, but if you play like a hummingbird on crack one year, it is quite a challenge to train your body to slow down from its familiar performance style and still be in full control during a performance. Plus, if I get my way and my line has little to no say in the matter, they could potentially have 2 different cymbals to choose from:
18" Sabian Hand Hammered New Symphonic (2 pairs)
20" Sabian Hand Hammered Viennese (3 pairs)
Heheh, ok, maybe I AM a horrible sick bastard for wanting 20" HH cyms for the children, but their cyms in '07 couldn't withstand their awesome power (all but 2of6 pairs of ZXTs have broken or began to cave) so now the line needs to upgrade and have their arms fall off for just a lil while.

So here's where I provide a quick summary of what I just said. Some of the most important parts of building pride in cymbals is some sort of inspirational/educational catalyst to spur evolution and a desire to seek out challenges.

PHS Cymbal Lines '01-'07 have grown faster and higher than anyone could have anticipated and it's all thanks to their hard work inspired by the guidance of the few believers of a proud Cymbal Line.

(it also helps to show students what has been successful for other groups as well as what has been lacking in previous lines in your group - not to mention it's kinda funny @ times

#141936 - 12/08/07 12:21 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Cymballism]
SkyhawkDrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: SoCal
Yes,It's bad to not be proud.My perc. instructor told me he once had to play $300 to play the triangle,he did'nt complain and he rocked out to the triangle.Be pround of what you play and make it the best thing.
Snare (Winter Drumline) [Snare Cap.]

Incognito '09: Snare Drum(Winter Drumline)
Incognito '09: Snare Drum(Drum Corps)

#161768 - 05/05/08 11:19 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: TotalPercussion]
dpyon Offline
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: va
Post's Karma Value: -25
dont be proud if you're not good

#177141 - 01/03/09 01:20 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: dpyon]
TheJRice Offline
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Cleveland, OH. U.S.
I see where your coming from. At my high school the cymbal line is considered beneath everyone else. the people who bomb the audition or just plain suck are on cymbals.

But depending on if your have a good cymbal line it's not something to be not proud of

#177166 - 01/03/09 04:22 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Delldrummer]
Bacon Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: US
Post's Karma Value: -20
I tell my students that if they are not proud of their instrument, their not trying hard enough. It's fun to be good. And every instrument can be fun if you practice and get better at it.
I personally love cymbals, I love all percussion. The way my brother and I thought of to make it fun was adding in dirty visuals or improving. Not just screwing around and each doing our own thing. But, he and I and the other cymbal players learned to work together. And we made up some on field-commands so that we could improv together. I don't really suggest that, but we just had fun last year.

Edited by Bacon (01/03/09 04:23 AM)

#179925 - 01/30/09 11:27 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Bacon]
Rizzah Offline
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: United States
If you truly enjoy whatever you're playing and you have confidence then there's no reason not to have some pride. Then again, our school's mantra is: "Pride. Class. Excellence." But it is also very common for the cymbal line to be put under everyone else, or rather they were until I came along. I suppose it just takes someone who's dedicated for everyone else to understand the importance. I am the only person of a 4-man cymbal line that gets respect for their instrument.

#179950 - 01/31/09 12:23 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Rizzah]
Bacon Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Post's Karma Value: -20
Yeah... I get respect too, which is cool... but it's probably cause everybody knew me and I worked with the bassline and pit every week. Lol, that kind of helps with respect a bit. I think anyone who truelly loves their instrument and tries their best should be respected though.

#181746 - 02/09/09 08:21 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Bacon]
Joseph Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: San Antonio, Tx
Post's Karma Value: 20
I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head. You have to take pride and what you do and make your line the best it can be.

I always worked with the cymbal players (I was the pit section leaders) because our section leaders wanted cymbal playerrs, but no one wanted to work with them and then they'd get belittled. So I took them aside and used my (very limited) knowledge of cymbals and visuals and the band ended up loving them.

It's a shame that drumlines usually dump the "less talented" folks onto cymbal lines and pits and then don't even bother to try to work them up.

#183771 - 03/10/09 05:25 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Joseph]
Maikel Heeren Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: The Netherlands
Well, I'm from the Netherlands and in our band, the cymbal line seems to be considered as a kind of 'lower' instrument, maybe it is because we have only two cymbal players. For next year, there are probably two new players for the cymbal line and my instructor has sort of given me the charge of the line. Reading all you comments is really helping me to find ways to bring my enthusiasm about the cymbals over to the other players in my line. For a non-cymbal player, it might be okay to not be proud to play cymbals, but as a part of the cymbal line you really have to, because it's a great instrument, technically as well as visually.

#185349 - 04/08/09 01:42 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Maikel Heeren]
otakudrummer Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: West Covina, California
Post's Karma Value: 2
Trying to explain Cymbals to someone that has not experienced or seen even a half decent cymbal line is like trying to explain the difference between drum corps and marching band to your parents. They just won't get it. And thats ok. It is NEVER ok to not be proud of your part in the drumline. If you do not take pride in what you do, you are not putting energy into the line, you're actually depriving your line of it. So what if your parts are "simple"? So what if some misinformed people think less of you? Pride is what makes the distinction of rather you're part of the line, or just a mer distraction. However, I will only assign 50% of the blame to those of you who feel that it's OK to lack pride in your cymbal line. The other half falls to your instructor(s).

The conventional hierarchy of the drumline (usually by those that are ill informed) is Snare - Tenor - basses - cymbals. But those that are WELL informed know that there is no hierarchy - all sections are vital parts of the whole drumline sound. It just doesn't sound right if any section is left out.

For those that are in the know, Cymbals are actually more complex then ANY other drum. You need precision equal to that of a snare player, you have more tambres/different sounds then a tenor player, and you have splits that are as crazy if not more so then that of bass players. Not to mention that the Cymbals lends itself so much more to the visual and GE score that makes my head hurt to try and find out why not more schools are using them.

I am the arranger/caption head of a junior high indoor drumline, and we compete in a local circuit and all my cymbals (3) are 7th graders. Even they understand the pride of a cymbal player. They look forward to sectionals/rehearsals, and they all look forward to playing cymbals again next year. I took 3 kids who are just starting music just this school year, and built them into cymbal players that people are noticing, wowing over. If I can do that with 7th graders, there is no reason why that can't be done with kids in highschool and beyond.

There is an old adage, you can either be part of the problem or part of the solution. I chose to be part of the solution by instilling pride into every single player in my line, and giving them an end product that they and their peers can be proud of.

The bottom line is this: you are entitled to your opinion, and we to ours. But if you feel that it's OK to lack pride just because you think Cymbals are on the bottom of the drumline totem pole, then you're just a part of the problem that is perpetuating that very idea. Just remember, a snare drum in the hands of an inexperienced player is just pop corn.

#185350 - 04/08/09 02:38 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: TotalPercussion]
Trmptcymbal Offline
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Texas
Being a cymbal player is not a bad thing. I go to North Shore High School and this year the entire cymbal line were made up of rookies. All five of us play either a brass or woodwind instrument. Its ok yes its simple but be proud that no one can do it like you can. Cymbals for life lol!!!

#186124 - 04/18/09 05:45 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Trmptcymbal]
mavdrummer Offline
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Marshall, Texas
Im a freshman this year and i marched snare this year. our director put our worst players on cymbals so I had that mindset at the beginning of the year. now that i've watched drumline videos learned more about percussion section as a whole I'm noticing that cymbals are really cool. no matter what anybody else says. i wish i had at least learned to play cymbals well during marching season. cymbals are actually really cool dude. dont think of it as being stuck on cymbals. think of it as an oppurtunity to show what you are worth to the drumline

08-09 Freshman Snare Drum
09-10 Sophomore Snare Drum
10-11 Junior Tenors

#186126 - 04/18/09 07:17 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: mavdrummer]
Aaronicus Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: United States of America
i feel like no matter what you do, pride is just a matter of how well you get the job done.

For instance some kids at school would call me an overachiever because of my grades. I on the other hand don't think so. I simply work on something (let's say a project) until i'm finished and Im happy with it. When i get to that point i can look at my project and be proud of it, and will gladly tell anyone that it is my project.

Same with marching band. Even if you guys are terrible, if you can look back and be happy with your performance than i feel like you have something to be proud of. Not necessarily being proud of the fact you are a cymbal, but being proud of the amount of work and effort that you put into your position.

And ultimately the more work that you put into something the more benefit you will get from it. For instance, our quad line this year put in a lot of work and a lot of time and we still had fun. And i can easily look back and be proud of what we accomplished.

My advice: work hard, and when you can look back and be happy with what you did, you're there.

Multi-Tenors

#196635 - 11/05/09 12:40 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: Aaronicus]
JChilders Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Perkinston, MS.
I used to hate cymbals until my good friend Greg came to our high school from University of Alabama, ever since he taught me technique i've been working hard at cymbals, even went to A-Day game to play with their line, instead of snare. and although i'm marching snare in college, i'm trying out for cymbals at solace, just because i LOVE cymbals now!

MGCCC:
09/10: Snare/1st bass
10/11: 2nd Bass/Cptn

#199301 - 02/19/10 07:42 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: JChilders]
iWatch Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'm playing cymbals for a DCA corp this year. I'm not ashamed of it; it is very fun, but it's just not my calling. I'm a snare player and I feel out of place playin cymbals. I can say I'm proud because our cymbal line is up there with the better corps, but like I said, I'm a snare player by nature.

#204794 - 01/08/11 03:09 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: iWatch]
Buranri Offline
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
The problem for my area with cymbals is we just don't have enough people. We couldn't cut people if we wanted - everyone who showed up was enough to run the bare minimum for our size band, 4 bass 1 quads 2 snare in a 50ish person band. No pit. No cymbals.

I get where you're coming from though - I played bass 1 this year and while I enjoyed it more towards the end of the year, I felt like with how our music was written, as in pretty easy, it wasn't as important as the snare. That said our last song for the show was amazing smile

#204807 - 01/09/11 11:27 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: TotalPercussion]
KatannaSan Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Southern CA, United States
If you are not proud of something, then take it into your hands to change it so you can be proud of it. There can always be some good, it just takes the right perspective to see it.

#205070 - 02/04/11 12:16 AM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: KatannaSan]
STApercussionkid Offline
Rank Insignia
User has negative Karma.

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: Louisiana
Having played cymbals this year and loved them, all I can say is to work harder and add visuals whenever possible.

BUT, in delldrummers defense, he's right. I live below Baton Rouge, in southeast Louisiana. We actually took our cymbal line out of our competition band this year, for the first time ever. The only cymbal line I can remember from the state competition, is Lafayette Highs line. And thats because they hire a cymbal instructor and he's outstanding with them. I remember watching them from the tunnel and at one point they pulled a perfect Viper, SCV style. They also had crashes at one point where they played patty-cake with each others' cymbals.

But we had no cymbal visuals at all this year. By about mid season, I had gotten tired of it. by the end of the season we had at least four, maybe more. If you dont respect your cymbal line, do something about it.

St. Amant High School 2010 Synth
St. Amant High School 2011 Synth

#206982 - 08/16/11 07:37 PM Re: Is it bad to not be proud of playing cymbals? [Re: TotalPercussion]
Joelle Baker Offline
Rank Insignia

Progress to next rank

Tenure
Loc: United States
nope, i started on cymbals it was embarrassing but it gave me the foundation to move on and advance to snare

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Chat
Check it out!
Search

DLO on Facebook
Shout Box

Galleries
TN- Tennessee Tech University
MS - University of Southern MS - 2009
AL - Fairhope High - 2007
Dynamic bass.
Potential cover idea.